This past December, the Antioch Village Board passed an ordinance (22-12-60), which will allow village residents to use golf carts on some village roadways. The new law aligns with similar ordinances in neighboring communities. To receive a village permit, residents will be required to schedule an annual safety inspection with the Antioch Police Department. Applicants will also be required to sign a waiver. Permits will go on sale and inspections will begin in March. The permits will be valid beginning on April 1, 2023. The most up-to-date information about the village permit, including a map of the village streets that will allow golf cards will be posted on the Village of Antioch website, www.antioch.il.gov.
What is a golf cart?
Before purchasing, a new motorized golf cart to drive on village roadways, the Village of Antioch advises residents to reference state statue to ensure the golf cart meets the village requirements. This ordinance allows for the use of golf carts on Village streets, however, utility and all-terrain vehicles, motorbikes, four-wheelers, and other prohibited vehicles will not be permitted and violators will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Village of Antioch Police Department.
The village code references the state motor vehicle code as to the definition of a “golf cart.”
(625 ILCS 5/1-123.9) A vehicle specifically designed and intended for the purposes of transporting one or more persons and their golf clubs or maintenance equipment while engaged in the playing of golf, supervising the play of golf, or maintaining the condition of the grounds on a public or private golf course.
The Village’s golf cart ordinance allows the use of authorized golf carts on some village roadways. For complete details about the ordinance, and information about obtaining a village permits, please reference the village website or call the Antioch Police Department.
1. From April 1st through December 1st of each year, with valid registration from the Village of Antioch and the Antioch Police Department.
2. A golf cart shall be subject to inspection by the Antioch Police Department prior to being operated on any of the permitted streets. A fee of $100 shall be assessed for the initial application/inspection of each golf cart followed by an annual re-inspection fee of $100 for the same vehicle each year thereafter.
a. Inspections will be held once monthly during the permitted months of operation on dates designated by the Antioch Police Department. The Chief of Police may alter or adjust inspection schedules dependent on staffing needs.
3. A golf cart vehicle may only be operated on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less.
4. A golf cart may cross a road or street at an intersection where the street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
5. A person may not operate a golf cart on any street in the Village of Antioch unless he or she has a valid driver’s license issued in his or her name by the Secretary of State or by a foreign jurisdiction.
6. A golf cart may not operate anywhere other than a designated roadway, and is not permitted to drive in public parks, on sidewalks, or any private property.
7. Golf carts may only park in areas within the Village of Antioch where vehicles are legally allowed to park, and may not park upon any shoulder, grassy area, or right of way.
8. Golf cart capacity may not exceed the capacity calculated by the manufacturer of the golf cart.
9. The operator of the golf cart shall yield the right of way to all pedestrians and emergency vehicles.
10. The operation of golf carts shall be in compliance with the provisions of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/1-100, et seq.) as amended.
No golf cart may be operated on a roadway unless, at a minimum, it has the following; brakes, a steering apparatus, tires, a rearview mirror, red reflectorized warning devices in the front and rear, a slow-moving emblem (as required of other vehicles in Section 12-709 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/12-709)) on the rear of the golf cart, a headlight that emits a white light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front, a tail lamp that emits a red light visible from at least 100 feet from the rear, brake lights and turn signals.
1. When operated on the roadway, a golf cart shall have its headlight and tail lamps lighted as required by section 12-201 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/12-201).
2. Every golf cart must affix an orange, slow-moving vehicle emblem mounted with the triangle point up on the rear of the vehicle on or near the center line. Said emblem must display a valid Village of Antioch issued registration number, in block lettering no less than 2 inches tall in black or white reflective letters.
3. Every golf cart must display an annual Village of Antioch registration sticker.
Driving Under the Influence
A person who drives or is in actual physical control of a golf cart while under the influence shall be subject to Sections 11-500 through 11-502 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/7-601, et.seq.).
Any person who operates a golf cart in the Village of Antioch shall be subject to the mandatory insurance requirements set forth in Article VI of Chapter 7 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/7-601, et.seq.).
Any person or entity violating any provision of the Antioch Golf Cart Ordinance (Section 7-1-5) shall be fined not less than $200 on the first offense and $250 on each subsequent offense, plus the Village of Antioch’s cost of prosecution, including reasonable attorneys’ fees. A fourth violation will result in the revocation or suspension of the Village of Antioch registration.
The full ordinance and more information, including a map, are available on the Village’s website, antioch.il.gov.