These are certainly times that none of us would have ever expected. We were able to run a very small onsite summer school program with success, and it was our greatest hope that, by the beginning of the 2020-21 school year, circumstances would allow us to open school just like we always have or at least in a Blended Learning model. Unfortunately, that is just not the case for the Fall of 2020. In reviewing all the data that is available, the safety guidelines in place for opening schools, and balancing safety for all with learning for all, we have come to the difficult decision to open the year in full remote learning. While some of our youngest and most complex learners will come onsite for in-person learning, almost all of our students will start the year learning from home.
We know that in-person learning truly is the best, but our staff has been and continues to work diligently to be ready for an amazing remote learning experience for our students and one that is doable for our families. Some key pieces of information about Remote Learning in District 114 are:
- The first day of student attendance is Monday, August 24 on a full day schedule.
- We will revisit the data and update the community by September 30, 2020.
- When we are able to return to site, we will go back to the Blended Model originally approved with families keeping the option to have their children learn remotely.
We are following the regular school year hours in planning the day for K-8 students:
- Lotus: 7:45AM-2:20PM
- Stanton: 8:30AM-3:05 PM
- Details for PreK are still being finalized
- Wednesdays will still be early release days with a different schedule than all other days.
- A student day will include 5 clock hours of engagement time, and up to 2.5 hours of “live” (also known as synchronous) instruction with their teachers and classmates.
- This DOES NOT mean students are expected to be online and in front of a screen all day — we are designing instruction to be rigorous, engaging, online, and offline for our learners.
All lessons, activities, and experiences will be recorded and available for families to access if students/families are not able to join at the times listed. Our goal is that all students LEARN and we know that this schedule will not work for some families. We will partner with you, with daycare providers, and whoever else we need to in order to make this successful for our students. Communication on this will be essential, and you can count on our partnership!
If you have questions, please reach out to:
- Heather Friziellie, Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-973-4028
- Matt Peters, Lotus Principal at email@example.com or 847-973-4100
- Jeff Sefcik, Stanton Principal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-973-4200
- Any member of the D114 family—we are here to help!
We are looking forward to an amazing 2020-21 school year, no matter what. We remain ONE TEAM..ALL IN!
With commitment to our students, families, and community,
Superintendent of Schools
Fox Lake School District 114